RACQ spokesperson Lucinda Ross said the Club’s Red Spot Congestion Survey results revealed drivers had nominated more than 450 roads across the State as those which caused unnecessary delays.
Respondents rated the Pacific Motorway as the most troublesome road in Queensland, closely followed by the Centenary Motorway, Gympie Road and the Bruce Highway.
“We put the call out to motorists across Queensland, who are in the best position to identify problem spots, to help us pinpoint the locations which continually cause them frustration behind the wheel,” Ms Ross said.
“These ‘red spots’ may be due to a set of traffic lights taking too long to change, not enough lanes, delays at a rail crossing, or something completely different.”
Ms Ross said the research would be made available to Federal, State and Local Governments, and would be used by RACQ to help prioritise its advocacy work.
“More than 2,500 nominations came in from across Queensland, so it’s clear congestion is an issue that really grinds our gears. It costs us time and lost productivity, and that’s why we need to address it now,” she said.
“We’ll use this information to guide our policy and use it to lobby all tiers of for solutions to bottlenecked areas.”
Queensland’s top 10 most congested roads according to RACQ’s Red Spot Congestion Survey:
- Pacific Motorway (Eight Mile Plains to Loganholme, Exits 41 to 57, and Varsity Lakes to Elanora)
- Centenary Motorway (Ipswich Motorway to Toowong, and Logan Motorway interchange)
- Gympie Road (Hamilton Road intersection, and Beams Road intersection)
- Bruce Highway (Pine Rivers to Sunshine Coast)
- South Pine Road (Stafford Road intersection, and Eatons Crossing Road intersection)
- Eumundi Noosa Road (Grays Road intersection)
- Gateway Motorway (Wynnum Road and Old Cleveland Rd interchange areas and north of Deagon)
- Moggill Road (Kenmore to Chapel Hill (Kenmore Road intersection, and Brookfield Road intersection)
- Logan Road (Miles Platting Road and Padstow Road intersection, and Kessels Road and Mount Gravatt Capalaba Road intersection)
- Captain Cook Highway (Smithfield roundabout, Cairns Western Arterial Road roundabout, and Aeroglen township).
Red Spot Survey results and an interactive map could be viewed at: www.racq.com/redspot.