RACQ spokesperson Lucinda Ross said there were at least 17 roads closed across the State, due to significant flooding.
“If there is somewhere you need to be over the next few days, we encourage you to check your path before leaving home to avoid being caught out by floodwaters,” Ms Ross said.
“If you do come face to face with a flooded road, turn around and don’t risk it – it’s never safe to drive through floodwaters. If it’s flooded, forget it.”
The warning came after emergency crews were forced to rescue people trapped in submerged cars following a one-in-120-year deluge near Dalby, west of Brisbane.
Courier Mail reported the crews also became stuck when they came to the aid of the drivers of two vehicles who’d been caught by rising torrents of water.
Ms Ross said the incident was an example of how quickly conditions could deteriorate.
“While we are thankful everyone was able to escape unharmed, it goes to show the speed at which water can impact our roads – which is why it’s important we don’t take unnecessary risks.”
Road closures as of 8.30am Monday 17 December:
- Crossmoor Road, Camoola
- Pugsley Street, Walkerston
- Marian Eton Road, Eton
- Wallaman Falls Road, Lannercost / Valley of Lagoons
- Muttaburra Aramac Road, Aramac / Cornish Creek
- Isisford – Blackall River Road, Blackall
- Longreach Silsoe Road, Longreach
- Ilfracombe Aramac Road, Aramac
- Clermont Alpha Road, Alpha / Surbiton
- Woodstock Giru Road, Shirbourne / Woodstock
- Hervey Range Road at Star River Bridge, Dotswood
- Dairy Inn Road, Cawarral / Ironpot
- Stanage Bay Road, Canoona / Stanage
- Waterpark Road, Byfield
- Burke Developmental Road, Wrotham
- Hicks Street, North Mackay
- Hardys Road, Mudgeeraba.