Don’t risk your pet’s life this festive season: RACQ

Queenslanders have been reminded to ensure their pets did not consume human food over Christmas after new RACQ research revealed more than one in five pets had accidentally eaten chocolate in the past.

pet christmas_optimized

RACQ spokesperson Clare Hunter said while almost everyone surveyed knew the risks, almost 21 percent admitted their pet had consumed the sweet treat.

“While it’s wonderful to indulge your four-legged friends at Christmas, it’s important to remember not all human treats are safe for animals,” Ms Hunter said.

“Chocolate, dried fruit and nuts are all no-nos for dogs and cats – so while you may mean well, please don’t share your fruit mince pies or chocolates with your pets.

“Other foods which can be toxic for animals include onions, chives, garlic and leeks, so be careful how much of your Christmas roast you share with your pets.”

Ms Hunter reminded pet owners to be vigilant about where they left food around their animals.

“Dogs can sniff out food and have been known to get into gifts left under the tree, sometimes eating straight through the paper,” she said.

“Make sure you don’t leave food out so there’s no way your fur babies can get into any trouble when you’re not home – you wouldn’t want to have to make an emergency vet visit over the holiday period.”